The Bottom Line
Over the past decade, Puerto Vallarta has come to rival Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Springs, and Hawaii as North America's premier gay winter resort hideaway. It's charming, romantic, elegant, and blessed with stunning views of the Pacific ocean, all this is true as well of the city's premier gay accommodation, Casa Cupula. This fanciful white-washed mini-resort tumbles down a hillside high on a bluff above PV's most enchanting (and gayest) neighborhood, Zona Romantica. If you're looking to celebrate a special occasion with someone special, this is hands-down your best gay option.
- Few gay resorts in the world offer such splendid views
- The staff here is super-friendly, efficient, and helpful
- Can't beat those complimentary afternoon margaritas, chips, and salsa
- It's close to town but far enough from the buzz for peace and quiet
- Rooms are stunning, upscale, and modern
- It's one of the pricier gay inns in Mexico - not an ideal option if you're on a tight budget
- Unless you take cabs, it's a steep, heart-pounding walk from town to the inn
- The pool is small (although so are the pools at most gay PV accommodations)
- If you're seeking a sexually charged ambience, look elsewhere - this is for couples seeking romance
- At 129 Callejon de la Igualdad, in the Zona Romantica or South Side of Puerto Vallarta, a 15-minute walk from the beach.
- There are 2 suites and 6 rooms in the main building, and 2 more rooms in an adjacent villa.
- In-room perks include free WiFi, flat-screen TVs with DVDs and cable, A/C and ceiling fans, robes and slippers, and safes.
- Bathrooms in the top units have two-person showers and double sinks, and in all units they're roomy and elegant.
- Book online or call 866-352-2511 in the U.S. or Canada, or 011-52-322-223-2484 direct to Mexico. The staff speaks English.
- Shopping, dining, and nightlife are within walking distance, and the inn can arrange airport transportation and local cabs.
- Starting rates range from about $259 in peak holiday season down to $119 during "super saver" summer season
- The clientele is mostly gay male, but also Casa Cupula welcomes everyone and draws a sizeable number of lesbians.
- Pool areas are clothing-optional, and facilities include a nice-size gym with top-notch equipment and a computer station.
- It's a 10-minute walk to numerous gay bars and restaurants, and a 25-minute cab ride to the airport and Nuevo Vallarta.
Guide Review - Casa Cupula Resort - Gay Puerto Vallarta
The first thing guests at Puerto Vallarta's exceedingly romantic Casa Cupula tend to notice is the view. This intimate inn climbs a few stories up a hillside, and from the terraces and patios, as well as the upper-level rooms, you enjoy unparalleled views of Bahia de Banderas (Banderas Bay).
The second thing guests typically notice is the staff, who tend to every imaginable guest request - these guys are the epitome of hospitality, kindness, and good humor. This should be a given at any high-end resort, but it's actually the exception. You'll be left to your own devices here if you choose, or treated like old friends, and the sincerity is easily apparent.
This whitewashed, urbane, but unpretentious gay resort sits along a quiet, hilly lane and is set on a few levels. Rooms vary greatly in size, but they're all sleekly decorated with high-end furniture, plush beds and linens, and spacious bathrooms. Two knock-out suites contain such lavish amenities as spacious private terraces, home theaters, garden showers, and outdoor Jacuzzis. Even the less-fancy standard rooms are 500 square feet and quite plush. Just up the hill, there are two cozier but still pleasant rooms available on the ground floor of the owner's villa - the advantage here is that it's quieter, the views from a large terrace are even more amazing than those at the main inn, and you still have full access to the main inn.
Between Casa Cupula and the owner's villa, construction is currently underway on what's being billed the first gay-oriented luxury condominium hotel, which comprise seven plush residences available for full or fractional purchase.